Does GSI Sponsor Dances?
Yes. GSI sponsors dances and weekends across the country. The dances that GSI sponsors are all fund raisers for the Foundation. Any profits generated by these events are used for the promotion of square dancing. For additional information on our events, please visit our Events and Happenings page!
What is GSI Doing?
A Timeline of Grand Square International's Success:
(Items listed are only part of what GSI has done since its inception in 1999)
- In 1999 Grand Square, Inc. (GSI) applied-for and was granted 501 (c) 3 nonprofit US tax-exempt status.
- GSI established through CALLERLAB at $10,000 scholarship fund to be dispersed for use by callers and dancers worldwide for education.
- GSI has been the recipient of the CALLERLAB Foundation’s Director’s Award.
- GSI launched Square Dancing Today magazine, a glossy, full-color magazine which featured square dance information from around the world. Highlights of the publication’s visibility include interviews with Dolly Parton, Louise Mandrell and a Presidential Commendation by President Jimmy Carter.
- GSI sponsored the “Passing of the Torch” afterparty at the 2003 National Square Dance Convention in Oklahoma City, USA which was attended by more than 3,000 dancers.
- GSI sponsors and funds a free caller’s school in Europe each year-bringing in Accredited Caller Coaches from Germany, the US and Great Britain.
- GSI held the First Annual World Square Dance in Dachau, Germany in 2003 with a free caller’s school and returned to Dachau, Germany again in 2004 and 2006 for two more free caller schools and dances.
- GSI sponsored the first GSI Caller’s School in Sweden in 2005. Similar schools took place in the US in 2006, England in 2007 and 2009 and our first school took place in Japan in 2011.
- GSI purchased and provides a portable dance floor for square dance organizations to use which is capable of creating a space sufficient for 100 squares.
- GSI sponsored a “New Concept Dance” in Las Vegas, NV that integrated current dancers and non-dancers in a “fun” atmosphere giving he non-dancers a very positive view of square dancing.
- GSI has donated funds to help purchase radio advertisements in several states to be used to promote square dancing.
- GSI helped conduct a seven week “Introduction to Square Dancing” at Sharon Elementary in Charlotte, NC.
- GSI has plans in place to host dance leadership conferences worldwide.
- GSI has developed logos and graphics for many dances in the US and abroad.
- GSI sponsored lessons for a new club “Hip to Be Square” square dance club in Charlotte, NC. This club is to be the prototype for new entry-level square dance clubs.
- GSI hosted a city BBQ for the city of Charlotte, bringing in local business leaders and exposing them to the activity of square dancing.
- GSI publishes Square Dancing Today NEWS Worldwide, a full-color newsletter that is available in print and as a digital edition via email, on a PC/Mac, tablet or smart phone.
- GSI hosts the website www.GSIInternational.com which is updated daily with information from around the square dance world, features flyers for all future events, and contains current and past editions of Square Dancing Today NEWS Worldwide as well as archival editions of and features from Square Dancing Today Magazine.
- GSI was recently honored by an invitation to include archives of its work in the venerable Square Dance New England Foundation National Archives. The Square Dance New England Foundation is one of the oldest foundations in the US, dating back to the early dates of American history.
- GSI produced a 400 page volume entitled 10: The First Decade, which included copies of dance flyers, brochures, invitations, mailings, photographs and copies of Square Dancing Today Magazine and Square Dancing Today NEWS Worldwide. Visitors to the SDNEF Museum will find the volume available for perusal.
- GSI works in conjunction with the Charlotte YMCA presenting square dancing to local youth and their parents.
- GSI is currently working to establish a non-profit foundation in Europe to be used for dancers and caller education.
- GSI sponsors dance weekends throughout the year in various locations throughout the USA and overseas. All profits from these events are used to further promote the square dance activity and caller education.